GNRC doctor Navanil Baruah arrested over Rajkanya Baruah's medical report

GNRC doctor Navanil Baruah arrested over Rajkanya Baruah's medical report

Navanil baruah Navanil baruah

GUWAHATI: The Dispur Police have arrested GNRC doctor Navanil Baruah in a case related to Rukmini Gaon, Guwahati road accident prime accused Rajkanya Baruah's 'doubtful'  medical report.

Rajkanya Baruah, who had knocked down eight PWD workers and a pedestrian, who lost both his legs, on October 2 at around 2 am allegedly under the influence of alcohol, was granted bail within 24 hours and was checked into the intensive care unit (ICU) of GNRC after police summoned her again after Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma's interference in the matter for a re-investigation.

Rajkanya Baruah did not appear in the police station citing poor health conditions. After a six-member team of Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), doctors found Baruah in fine condition after re-examining her, she was arrested from ICU itself.

Also Read: Manipur Groups Announce Reward Of Rs 60,000 For Dog Killers Information

This has triggered an outrage among the public, already infuriated by Rajkanya Baruah's accident, across the state and they demanded an investigation into the GNRC authorities as well.

Police today arrested GNRC doctor Navanil Baruah, who was the in-charge of Rajkanya Baruah's treatment, for furnishing forged reports on Rajkanya Baruah's health.

Dr Baruah was interrogated three days by Dispur police and on the first day itself, he denied even knowing Rajkanya Baruah and said in front of the media that he did not commit any crime and he was not involved in checking Rajkanya Baruah into ICU.

In investigation, Dr Baruah had mentioned Assam DGP Bhaskar Jyoti Mahanta's name and said he had talked with DGP Mahanta for 11 minutes on the Rajkanya Baruah issue before checking her into ICU.

DGP Mahanta later had to invite a press meet to clarify Baruah's allegations and also accepted lapses by some lower-rung police personnel due to which the accused got bail within 24 hours of the accident.

Follow us on Facebook