Military intelligence took 9 years to make ULFA's Drishti Rajkhowa surrender; Here's the inside story

Military intelligence took 9 years to make ULFA's Drishti Rajkhowa surrender; Here's the inside story

drishti rajkhowa drishti rajkhowa

GUWAHATI: In a major development in Northeast India's insurgency scene, dreaded United Liberation Front of Axom (Independent) Drishti Rajkhowa alias Major Rabha surrendered on Wednesday with his 4 bodyguards to the Indian armed forces. It took 9 years for the Indian Army to convince the dreaded insurgent leader to surrender.

According to the Indian Army, a senior officer (name withheld) had been in contact with Drishti Rajkhowa, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of ULFA (I), and his wife (undergoing treatment at Guwahati presently) since 2011 when he was posted in Shillong. He maintained contact during his consequent postings in North East as well and gradually developed a rapport with him over 9 long years and continued trailing and pursuing him.

All these years, the officer kept persuading Rajkhowa to join the mainstream for the "betterment of Assamese society, exploiting his interlinkages through the family."

ALSO READ: Naga People’s Front threatens to move CBI to probe highway project in Nagaland

Finally, in the last six months, the offer was conceived. "We planned surgical int ops by providing specific input to take the surrender of Drishti Rajkhowa, Dy C in C ULFA (I) along with Four cadres with weapons. The inputs were shared through DGMI with 21 Div , Eastern Command on 10 November," an official said.

On November 10, Drishti Rajkhowa contacted the officer as he wanted to surrender along with his four bodyguards.

He had requested for safe passage from his previous location near the Indo -Bangladesh border opposite Baghmara in Meghalaya to Guwahati.

According to reports, the officer coordinated the ops with the GOC 21 Mtn Division. On November 11, ops were finally launched to nab Rajkhowa.

"On November 11 at approx 13:50h, Drishti Rajkhowa ULFA (I) along with his four bodyguards was taken into Indian Army custody by tps of 21 Mtn Division," the official said.

If army sources are to be believed, Rajkhowa's surrender is a major blow to Paresh Baruah, the leader of the non-talks faction of the ULFA -- currently believed to be holed up in China.

To support our brand of fearless and investigative journalism, support us HERE.


The Inside Northeast app HERE for News, Views, and Reviews from Northeast India.

Do keep following us for news on-the-go. We deliver the Northeast.