scorecardresearch
advertisement
Assam: Flood, neglected infrastructure plague international highway in Pathsala

Assam: Flood, neglected infrastructure plague international highway in Pathsala

A recurring issue of severe waterlogging has turned a section of the International Highway near the BJP district office into a pond-like environment, especially after a few days of rain. This problem affects the stretch in Ward No. 4 under Pathshala Municipality, a crucial route connecting Bhutan.

The persistent flooding creates hazardous conditions for the thousands of commuters using this highway, leading to frequent accidents. This neglected infrastructure raises concerns about the state of development in Pathsala, particularly near the BJP district office.

The problem dates back to the construction of the highway 16 years ago. Residents on both sides of the road received only 80% of the compensation promised, and the remaining 20% has been withheld, reportedly due to insufficient funds. Consequently, some families have occupied government land without completing the compensation process.

Despite eviction notices issued by the district administration, no significant action has been taken, and necessary drainage systems remain unconstructed. This neglect has perpetuated the hazardous conditions on this crucial international route.

Also read: Manipur: Large cache of weapons recovered in security operations in Jiribam and Kakching districts