Former Congress leader John Chowdhury questions six-year suspension, threatens legal action
Former vice-president of the Silchar District Congress Committee, Shamsur Rahman Chowdhury, popularly known as John, has questioned his six-year suspension from the Congress despite having resigned from the party ahead of the Assembly elections.
Addressing a press conference in Silchar on Thursday, Chowdhury questioned the decision of Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Gaurav Gogoi and sought an explanation from the party leadership.
Chowdhury claimed that he had formally resigned from the Congress on March 29, ahead of the Assembly elections, and submitted his resignation letter at the district Congress office. He said the party had also issued him an acknowledgement accepting his resignation.
Despite this, he was later suspended for six years for allegedly engaging in anti-party activities during the elections, Chowdhury said.
He claimed that 12 of the 14 leaders suspended by the Pradesh Congress president had already resigned from the party before the Assembly elections. He questioned how they could be accused of anti-party activities after leaving the organisation.
"If I had officially resigned from the party before the election, on what basis was I suspended for violating party discipline or engaging in anti-party activities?" Chowdhury asked.
He said the Congress leadership should clarify whether due procedure and party rules were followed while taking the disciplinary action.
Chowdhury also threatened to seek legal recourse against the suspension if necessary.
He further criticised Gaurav Gogoi's political role and questioned his political experience and maturity. He demanded greater transparency and a clear explanation from the Congress leadership regarding the action taken against him and other former party members.
Copyright©2026 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today