DIPHU: One person died and at least 141 people have been admitted to Diphu Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) with suspected food poisoning after consuming packaged lunch at a government programme here on Tuesday.
Official sources said the lunch, served by Diphu Medical College (DMC) during its academic session launch, comprised fried rice and egg. The programme was attended by chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal and health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma among others.
The deceased has been identified as Kangbura Bey. He is survived by his wife and two children.
DMCH authorities said more patients continued to report today. The authorities said the condition of those taken ill are stated to be stable.
On Tuesday, Sonowal ceremonially launched the first academic session of the DMC involving 100 students.
He also inaugurated several development work and laid foundation of projects such as basketball court with gallery at KASA Stadium, Diphu Law College, market complex at Rongkhelan, heritage building of CST Memorial Lurulangso, community health center model hospital at Phuloni, auditorium building at Rongtheang, inter-state bus terminal near Recreation Park, a flyover, waiting shed in every ward of the town.
Copyright©2023 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today