The "indefinite bandh" that was slated to begin from Wednesday in Kanchanpur sub-division under North Tripura district has been temporarily suspended.
Today's indefinite strike was called by a joint movement body comprising the youth wing of local Nagarik Surakhsha Manch and five Mizo NGOs.
Diptanu Nath general secretary of Nagarik Suraksha Manch and Dr Zairemthiama Pachuau, general secretary of Mizo Convention categorically said that the strike had been suspended temporarily.
It needs mention here that the dawn-to-dusk indefinite strike in Kanchanpur was called in in support of the three-point demands pertaining to the rehabilitation of displaced Bengalis and Mizos in Tripura and opposing the settlement of Bru or Reangs who took refuge in the relief camps in Kanchanpur from Mizoram following the violent ethnic clashes in 1997.
The Nagarik Surakhsha Manch post the Citizenship Amendment Act protests in December, 2019 had come forward and alleged that Bru refugees were involved in violence, vandalism and arson during the agitation.
Since then, the Manch had been fighting for an 11-point demand list. However, as most of these demands fall under the jurisdiction of the central government or require law formulation, the Manch leaders, along with the local Mizo NGOs zeroed in on three point demand list and called strike.
The charter of demands included that no Bru/Reang would be given settlement in Kanchanpur sub-division and in areas close to Jampui Hills, immediate resumption of relief and compensation to 93 Bengali families who are staying in Anandabazar PS since mid-December last and thirdly, rehabilitation package for displaced Bengalis and Mizos.
Nath and Dr Pachuau said, even as the district administration is not authorized to agree with our demands and give us written assurance, DM of North Ravel H Kumar verbally assured to look into demands.
Nath claimed that Government had planned to settle 1950 families of Bru Reangs in Kanchanpur sub-division which the joint movement body vehemently opposed. The District administration noted opposition and assured to take step to meet the demand.
Moreover, the administration also assured resumption providing relief to 93 Bengali families staying in a makeshift camp at Anandabazar PS. The administration would also take steps for paying compensation package to these families.
Relating to rehabilitation package of displaced Bengalis and Mizos since after 1997, the administration said that it would take time to make a call on this issue – however, the administration would look into this matter.
“All these are commitments – we hope that the administration would be able to honour its commitment. Otherwise, we would resume our agitations”, Dr Pachuau said.
Support Inside Northeast (InsideNE), an independent media platform that focuses on Citizen-centric stories from Northeast India that are surprising, inspiring, cinematic and emotionally relevant.
Copyright©2023 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today