MOSCOW: As many as seven school children were killed and many more were injured tofday after a lone teenage gunman opened fire in a school in the Russian city of Kazan.
In a video taken by an onlooker and circulated by Russia's RIA news agency, two children can be seen leaping from the third floor of the four-story School Number 175 to flee as gunshots rang out.
Among the seven children, four were boys and three girls.
ALSO READ: India Reports More Recoveries Than New Cases Of COVID-19 In 24 Hours
At least 16 people, 12 children, and four adults are admitted in a hospital, Rustam Minnikhanov, the head of the wider Tatarstan region.
The attacker has been arrested. He's a 19-year-old gun owner who has been formally licenced.
Minnikhanov said there was no proof that anyone else was involved in the attack, which he defined as a major tragedy for the entire country.
Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan, a Muslim-majority area located about 450 miles (725 kilometres) east of Moscow.
ALSO READ: Assam: Tinsukia grenade blast kills a 12 year old
Here is a list of some of the worst school shootings in the last decade around the world:
- Sao Paulo -- On March 13, 2019, two former students opened fire at a high school near Brazil's largest city, killing eight people, the majority of whom were students and teachers, before turning their guns on themselves.
- Crimea -- On October 17, 2018, an 18-year-old gunman kills 20 people, nine of whom are children, and injures dozens more before killing himself at a technical college where he was a student in Crimea.
- Texas -- On May 18, 2018, a 17-year-old American student armed with a shotgun and a revolver opens fire just as classes begin at his school in Santa Fe, killing ten people, including eight students.
- Florida --On February 14, 2018, a 19-year-old former student who was expelled for disciplinary reasons returns to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and opens fire, killing 14 students and three adult staff members.
- Sandy Hook -- On December 14, 2012, a 20-year-old gunman kills his mother before storming the Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut, killing 20 six- and seven-year-old children and six staff members in a shooting that shook the United States.
- Rio de Janeiro --On April 7, 2011, a 24-year-old former student opens fire in a Rio de Janeiro classroom, killing 12 people and injuring several others before killing himself.
Follow us on Facebook