46 cadres of proscribed KCP-Taibanganba Group surrender with arms in Manipur
Forty-six cadres of the proscribed Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP)-Taibanganba Group surrendered with arms before the Manipur government and security forces on Tuesday, August 18, marking a significant step towards their return to civilian life.
The cadres, including the group’s chairman, laid down their arms during a “Home Coming Ceremony” held at the 1st Manipur Rifles Parade Ground in Imphal.
The cadres handed over 20 arms, 216 rounds of ammunition and three explosives during the ceremony.
Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh, who attended the event as chief guest, said the prevailing crisis in Manipur had prompted many young people to join armed outfits, believing it was a way of defending the state.
However, he said peace and development could not be achieved through arms and weapons and welcomed the decision of the cadres to return to the mainstream.
Singh said the 46 cadres had surrendered under the state’s Revised Surrender-cum-Rehabilitation Policy, 2018. He said the government would provide skill development training to help the former cadres build sustainable livelihoods.
The chief minister welcomed and appreciated the KCP-Taibanganba Group for choosing to return to the mainstream.
On the demand for updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Manipur, Singh said the state government supported the demand and had already taken steps in this regard through a Cabinet decision and a resolution adopted by the Manipur Legislative Assembly.
He also appealed to organisations calling bandhs to withdraw such protests, saying they affected the lives and livelihoods of ordinary people. He urged them to use other democratic forms of protest to raise their demands.
The ceremony was attended by senior ministers, civil administration officials, police and security force officers and other dignitaries.
Copyright©2026 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today