COCOMI seeks detailed report, legal action over attacks on border villages in Manipur’s Kamjong district
The Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI) has urged the Manipur government to disclose details of the recent attacks on border villages in Kamjong district and explain the measures being taken to ensure the safety and security of people living along the Indo-Myanmar border.
A joint team of COCOMI, the Foothills Naga Coordinating Committee (FNCC) and the All tribal trade and commerce association (ATTCA) visited the border villages of Z Choro, Wanglee and Namlee on May 18 to express solidarity with residents affected by the alleged attack carried out by suspected Myanmar-based militants on May 7.
During the visit, the organisations distributed humanitarian aid and essential supplies to the villagers.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the visit, COCOMI spokesperson Shanta Nahakpam alleged that armed cadres of the Kuki National Army-Burma (KNA-B) were seen in videos circulated after the incident. He questioned the Manipur government’s reported stance that there was no foreign involvement in the attack.
“Many videos were circulated showing armed KNA-B cadres roaming around in the background of the attacked villages. However, representatives of the Manipur government declared the incident not to be an external aggression,” Nahakpam said.
He said Z Choro village lies barely 100 metres from a border pillar along the Indo-Myanmar border and alleged that neighbouring villages Wanglee and Namlee were also targeted in the attack.
Nahakpam criticised the government for what he termed a lack of visible security measures in the affected villages despite assurances from the state Home Department. He alleged that there were inadequate patrolling and insufficient protection for residents even though an Assam Rifles post is located nearby.
Seeking accountability, COCOMI demanded that the government reveal what legal steps had been taken following the incident and identify those responsible for the alleged firing, arson and looting in the villages.
“The government should disclose what legal action has been taken so far and what measures are being adopted to protect the land and people of Manipur,” he said.
The organisation also expressed concern over continuing violence in other parts of the state, including reports of killings, kidnappings and exchanges of captives in districts such as Senapati and Kangpokpi.
FNCC convenor Ng Akhiu said the organisations visited the villages as a gesture of solidarity with the indigenous Tangkhul community residing in the border areas. He also condemned the state government’s denial of alleged foreign involvement in the attacks.
Residents of the affected villages thanked the organisations for extending support during what they described as a difficult period.
Copyright©2026 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today