Manipur: Fear persists in Kamjong's border villages 13 days after militant attack
Nearly two weeks after suspected Myanmar-based militants carried out coordinated attacks on villages along the Indo-Myanmar border in Manipur’s Kamjong district, residents say they are still living without adequate security support, with fear and uncertainty continuing to dominate daily life.
The attacks took place in the early hours of May 7 when armed men allegedly crossed over from the Myanmar side and targeted Tangkhul Naga-inhabited villages, including Z Choro, Wanglee and Namlee. Villagers said the attackers opened indiscriminate fire before setting houses ablaze and looting properties.
Although local MLA Leishiyo Keishing and Manipur Home Minister Govindas Konthoujam visited the affected areas after the incident, residents claim concrete security measures are yet to be implemented. Many villagers have returned despite safety concerns, saying they want to protect their land from what they described as “foreign invaders”.
Recalling the attack, Z Choro resident Konap Ansari said villagers were caught completely off guard.
“On May 7, we were never ready for that kind of invasion in our village. We were sleeping peacefully. We are good citizens of India. We don’t have any enmity with neighbouring villages from Burma,” he said.
Ansari alleged that the armed men launched the assault from nearby hill areas across the Myanmar border, firing several rounds and using explosives. Terrified residents fled towards the hills to save themselves, he said.
Almost all 22 houses in the village were reportedly burnt down, while the church building was spared. However, valuables kept inside the church were allegedly looted.
“During the war time, they came to our village. We provided temporary shelter, food and clothes. We never expected they would launch an attack like this,” he added, referring to Kuki refugees who had earlier taken shelter in the area.
Villagers also accused the Assam Rifles of failing to respond despite having a camp located within walking distance from Z Choro. According to residents, security personnel did not intervene while villagers fled for safety.
Ansari said residents had demanded stronger protection measures during the Home Minister’s visit, including replacing central forces with state forces. However, he alleged that no visible action has followed.
The village head of Namlee also claimed that militants linked to KNA-B were involved in the attack.
“All those militants surrounded my village and attacked and looted houses. We ran here and there for our lives. Why are they attacking innocent villagers? What is our fault? We don’t have any hatred towards them,” he said.
Expressing disappointment over the response of security forces, he claimed it takes only 20 to 30 minutes for personnel to reach the village, yet residents were left without immediate assistance during the attack.
“Our lives are still at risk. Yet, to protect our villages from being encroached upon, we returned and continue to live here,” he added.
Apart from security concerns, residents of Z Choro, Wanglee and Namlee also highlighted the lack of basic infrastructure in the remote border belt, including poor road connectivity and limited access to essential services.
Copyright©2026 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today