Manipur: Woman seeking justice for slain husband injured during Namdilong protest
A woman whose husband was among six Naga civilians allegedly abducted and killed in Kangpokpi district was injured during a protest at Namdilong in Imphal West on August 20, as security forces used tear gas to disperse protesters.
The protest was jointly organised by the Native People’s Committee (NPC), Joint Tribe Council and United Naga Council near Kanglatongbi Bazaar. The protesters were demanding justice for the six Naga civilians killed after allegedly being abducted from Leilon Vaiphei in Kangpokpi, as well as four other Naga civilians killed in separate incidents, including the August 14 ambush at Langka Naga village.
Tension broke out shortly after the protesters gathered, with security forces and protesters reportedly scuffling. Security personnel fired tear gas to disperse the crowd, leaving four protesters and three security personnel injured.
Among those injured was 36-year-old Wikhonliu, wife of late Phenrongwi, one of the six civilians killed after being abducted from Leilon Vaiphei. She is currently staying at the Konsakhul internally displaced persons (IDP) camp.
Wikhonliu had previously received treatment at the Psychiatry Ward of the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences (JNIMS) following her husband’s death. She was discharged on July 16. She was attending Thursday’s protest when she was injured and was later admitted to JNIMS for treatment.
The NPC condemned what it described as the excessive use of force against protesters and called on the state government to withdraw security forces from the Namdilong area.
Speaking to the media at JNIMS, NPC convenor Ashang Kasar said the demonstration had been peaceful and was organised to seek justice for the Naga civilians killed in Kangpokpi.
“Security forces used force against protesters during a peaceful demonstration, leaving four people injured. The action of the security forces is very unfortunate,” Kasar said.
He also alleged that security forces have adopted different approaches towards Naga and Kuki protesters, claiming that similar action was not taken when Kuki groups allegedly blocked or carried out activities along National Highway routes in Kangpokpi district.
Kasar said the situation around Kanglatongbi remained volatile and warned that further incidents could occur if security forces continued to be perceived as treating the two communities differently.
The six Naga civilians were found dead on June 10, nearly a month after they were allegedly abducted from Leilon Vaiphei on May 13. Their bodies remain at the JNIMS mortuary as their families continue to demand justice.
Copyright©2026 Living Media India Limited. For reprint rights: Syndications Today